Match 45
29th April 1950
Torquay United v ECFC

1st May 1940
Benefit for “Gallagher and Cutting”
Exeter City v Leicester City



Saturday, April 29th 1950.

There was never any doubt about the result of the Devon Soccer Derby at Plainmoor this afternoon. Exeter City, winners by 4 goals to one, were just that much superior to Torquay United, who at no time looked like a team that had long been the closest challengers to Notts in the promotion race.

TORQUAY UNITED 1  (Calland penalty)
EXETER CITY 4 (Smith, McClelland 3)

Half-time Torquay 0 City 2.
Attendance 9,500.

Torquay :- Davis; Topping, Calland; Towers, Head, Whitfield; Shaw, Reid, Conley, Northcott, Cameron.

Exeter City: Singleton; Johnstone, Clark; Fallon, Goddard, Davey; Harrower, Mackay, Smith, Hutchings, McClelland.

Referee:- Mr C.P.Jacobs, of Bath.

The exposed Torquay ground, with its cramped playing pitch, is never a Soccer player's ideal. This afternoon, when the stiffish wind was the cause of the ball playing unexpected tricks on a hard surface, it was a footballer's nightmare.

Of the two teams, the City made by far the better attempt to master the dual handicap. Exeter had a big pull in defence, whilst their forwards were also the more dangerous line. Torquay, entitled to talent money by virtue of a place among the five leading clubs in the Third Division, looked like a side struggling to avoid re-election. The United, bereft of constructive ideas, as well as utterly lacking defensive steadiness, must have been sadly below their best standard in a match which, from their standpoint, was a dismal epilogue to a season of many great performances. McClelland was the marksman of the match, scoring three grand goals after Archie Smith had obtained the first. Torquay's only goal was a penalty for hands converted by Calland.


Monday, May 1st 1950.

In the benefit game for the Exeter City trainers, Messrs Gallagher and Cutting, at St James's Park on Monday evening, Leicester City played attractive football without scoring any goals. The onlookers, numbering eight thousand, appreciated numerous crisp and accurate inter-passing movements by a polished attack in which Mal Griffiths, the Welsh International and former Arsenal outside right, was an outstanding personality. Griffiths, speedy and elusive, crossed a dangerous ball, and had he been opposed to a less resourceful left-back than Stan Rowe, he must have been a match-winner.

EXETER CITY 1 (McClelland)

Half-time, no score.
Attendance 8,000.

Referee:- Mr C.E.Trengrove.

Exeter City: Singleton; Johnstone, Rowe; Powell, Goddard, Davey;
Harrower,  Wardle* Smith  Hutchings, McClelland.
Leicester:- Godwin; Jelly, Kirkman; Baldwin, Plummer, King; Griffiths, Barlow, Lee, Ayton, Adam.

(*) Queen's Park Rangers, by special permission.

The result of this match was of secondary importance, and although Exeter won, the game emphasised one big difference between Second and Third Division football. The men of Leicester kept the ball moving quickly from man to man, and this made them look the faster side. The cool defensive play of Kirkman was admirable, and this elegant full-back's long crossfield passes to Griffiths were perfectly timed and directed. The passing and running into position of the inside forward trio was a delight to watch. Griffiths has been mentioned in the notes, above.


Allowed tags: <p>, <a>, <em>, <strong>, <ul>, <ol>, <li>