Match 15
18th October 1952
Ipswich Town (a)

Southern League
Worcester City (a)

23rd October 1952
Southern Command (h)

Ipswich Town 1-1 ECFC
Scorers: Murphy
Attendance: 11503


Saturday, October 18th 1952.

EXETER CITY (Murphy) 1
IPSWICH TOWN (Garneys) 1.

Half-time City 0 Ipswich 1.

The City began as though they would win the match convincingly and for half an hour they were in command without, however, being able to show anything for it. The Ipswich goal had a charmed life, notably when shot from Regan struck the post and rebounded off the goalkeeper's legs and when Dailey dived full length to head a centre from Regan over the bar.

City: Kelly; Walton, Kirkman; Harvey, Goddard, Davey; Mackay, Knight, Dailey, Murphy, Regan.

Ipswich: Newman; Feeney, Deacon; Myles, Rees, Parker; Gaynor, Callaghan, Garneys, Elsworthy, Havenga.

Referee:- Mr R.Hall of Harrow, London. Linesmen:- Messrs D.L.Scobie and W.E.Keel.

It came as an anti-climax when Ipswich broke away for Garneys to head the ball past Kelly from Parker's centre. From then on the visiting side were much more in evidence, and it was not until eleven minutes from the finish that Exeter drew level through Murphy to preserve their unbeaten home record.

Rees, injured in a collision with Dailey in the second half, was taken off the field. On being examined at the Royal Devon and Exeter Hospital it transpired that his nose was broken.

Attendance 11,503.

Southern League 


From the start the visiting team's left wing attacked and Polk had to give a corner, from which Mitchell headed over the bar. The pace was fast and Exeter showed up well, their forwards being quicker on the ball than the home team's.

Exeter went ahead when McClelland shot across the face of the goal and Howells sent the ball into the net off the legs of one of the Worcester backs. In the second half Worcester were more lively and turned the tables. Three goals, by Billington, Duggan and Polk were sufficient to send the City Reserves home pointless.

Team: Singleton; Anderson, Rowe; Booth, Doyle, Fallon; Mitchell, Rose, Howells, McClelland, Digby.




Southern Command Defence Could Not Last The Distance.

Nomad match commentary 

BAFFLED by Charlie McClelland's wiles, the Command defence had no answer to Exeter City's final onslaughts at St. James's Park yesterday. What a finish! The City were losing by three goals to one with ten minutes to go.

The result was 4-3 in Exeter's favour, and it was a just verdict. No league points were at stake in this friendly encounter but that mattered little because drama and thrills and much good football were packed into a satisfying match.

The first half produced the more classical touches. The second stage was noteworthy for that belated City flourish which converted seeming de feat into a sensational triumph.


Within the Command XI were number of more than useful foot ballers. Goalkeeper Kirkwood, although apt to punch balls that a more experienced man would have caught, was the favourite of the crowd.
Agile and fearless, he possessed one
other important asset. So good was his positional play at times that he was a human magnet who seemed to attract the ball into his safe keeping. Kirkwood, a youngster on Reading's books, fully earned the ovation he received from an appreciative crowd at the end of the match.

Another bright display came from the compactly-built Kaye, an outside right with a taking style. This Barnsley boy has neat ball control.He knows how to cross a dangerous ball.

Hines, the Leicester City centre-forward, weighed in with a hat-trick and, if two of his goals were unconvincing, it was easy to detect from his performance the polished touches that belong only to the top grade. Passes were crisply made. Positional play was right.

Attacking Partnership

Exeter were stronger at half back than their rivals, and Sam Booth gained the award for being the best Intermediate on view. The City also enjoyed a big pull at inside forward. where Angus Mackay and Eddie Murphy excelled in footwork and the knack of making the defence splitting pass, Murphy and McClelland were the best attacking partnership of the match. They were run close by Derek Digby and Mackay on the right flank.

Playing his first big game, young Alan Marsh, upgraded from the Colts team, was a steady left back. Although opposed to the dangerous Kaye, the well-built local lad did enough to deserve another outing in this class company.

Each side scored once in the first half. HINES for the Command XI, and MURPHY for the City.

Just after the interval, Anderson bundled into his namesake from Gateshead, a late change in the Army side. A penalty was awarded. Singleton saved HINES spot kick, parried a second effort, only to be beaten by a third shot from the Leicester centre-forward.

Prolonged Pressure

Prolonged pressure by Exeter brought no reward, and was followed by a breakaway and simple goal scored by HINES from a slow, low shot which Singleton allowed to alip through his usually sure hands. The Army looked to be on top of the world, Unfortunately, their heroic defence could not last the distance.

The rearguard was out on its knees when MCCLELLAND in his most dazzling mood, darted here and weaved there to score two goals. Lastly came a winner from Murphy, and the City had won the day.

Attendance: 1.110.
Receipts. £90 198, The figure excludes season ticket holders.

Upcoming FA Youth Trophy 

Within the Bristol Rovers Colts team who will oppose Exeter City Colts team in the second round of the F.A. Youth Trophy, at St. James's Park, on Saturday, is right half Norman Sykes, schoolboy international. Rovers' Colts an English

Here are brief details about the Rovers' team:
David TOMKINS: Graduated from the Bristol boys' team. A highly promising goalkeeper.

Albert PURNELL: Sturdily-built full back. Product of the Rovers' Junior coaching scheme.

Cyril BAKER: Like his partner, well built for the job. Has played for the Bristol Junior League in representative matches.

Norman SYKES: Captain of the Bristol boys' team in 1951-2. Just 16. Cap tured the headlines recently by making two appearances in the Rovers' second tenm against Swindon and Watford.

Dennis WILLIAMS: Bristol bovs' tenm pivot throughout 1950-1. Fine positional player. Should be seen in the Rovers' senior in a senson or two.

Colin PALMER: Constructive wing-half
who is making rapid progres.

Granville SMITH: In Bristol boys' XI
last year. Useful turn of speed.

Peter WILSHIRE: Has been with the
Rovers since leaving school. Regular
member of the Gloucestershire youth side. Knows where the goal 18.

Alfred BIGGS: Another ex-member of Bristol schools team. Has played in a Football Combination match and also in the Rovers' Western League XI.

Eric CLARK: Delightful ball placer.
Has come under the eyes of the Gloucestershire youth selectors more than once. Plaved for Bristol boys' team.

Cliff EDWARDS: The only non Bristollan in the team. Llanelly-born and has a brother playing for Walsall. Has had one Combination appearance.
against Swansea Town. Likely to have
a good future.

To Mr. John Gummoe, the Rovers" ever-obliging secretary, my thanks for the above detalls.

City Colts:
B. Hunkin; P. Hitt, A. Marsh: T Preston, D Burrows, B Warren: R. Bond, M. Elstone, Swanston, I. Martin, J Lucas. Kick-oft 11.15.


Allowed tags: <p>, <a>, <em>, <strong>, <ul>, <ol>, <li>