Match 21
29th November 1952
Newport County (h)

ECFC 3-2 Newport County
Scorers: Mackay 2, McClelland Attendance: 6848



Dismal weather reduced the average attendance by 50 per cent at St. James's Park to-day, when the City met Newport County and led the visitors by three goals at half-time.

Drizzie and cold kept all but the faithful customers at home, and there were no more than 5,000 present when the teams. came out.

The Line-up

City: Kelly: Walton, Rowe; Booth, Goddard, Davey: McClelland, Knight, Dalley, Mackay. Regan.

Newport: Fearnley; Wilcox, C., Hayward; Waite, Wilcox, R., Donald son; Birch, Nelson, Parker, Beattie, Moore.

Referee: R. J. Burgess, Reading.

An injury suffered at Port Vale in the Cup-tie last Saturday caused Eddie Murphy to miss his first match of the season. He pulled a muscle in the thigh, and was replaced by Jackie Knight, with Angust Mackay moving to in side-left: Another City change was at wing half, where Sam Booth was included and Ivan Armes omitted.

Newport also made alterations, and absent from a full strength side were Newall, the captain, who was injured, and Shergold.

Kicking off, Newport raided strongly, and Nelson was checked in the nick of time as the visiting forwards darted through the middle.

On a waterlogged pitch, the City were quick to change the scene of activity, and good work by
McClelland had the County defence worried. The City's outside-right crossed an accurate centre but the chance. was lost, and again the County came with a flourish

Delightful Play

After beating three men by brilliant footwork, Nelson shot from the edge of the penalty area, and Kelly did well to pull the ball down and clear.

Booth and Goddard excelled in the City's half-back line, and both teams were playing delightful football on this worst possible of pitches. It was no fault of the players that movements occasionally broke down, for there was no telling what the ball was going to do. A grand attempt by Knight, skilful member of the home attack, missed the far post by inches. as Fearnley. beaten, dived full length

Each side forced a corner without result, and then the game swung in the City's favour with the goals.

In a game which underwent an amazing transformation the City deserved their victory by virtue of their superiority for more than an hour. In the first half Exeter played very good football on the wet surface and the unstable Newport defence was often left trailing.

It was a different story, however, in the last twenty minutes and the City, leading then by 3 - 0, nearly came unstuck.

The "Ironsides" mounted a great rally and the once confident City team had to engage in a real backs-to-the-wall fight.

Newport scored two goals, and a third, netted by Parker, was adjudged to be offside.

City Reserves 
For the second week running Exeter City Reserves were without a match.


Allowed tags: <p>, <a>, <em>, <strong>, <ul>, <ol>, <li>