Match 22
6th December 1952
Bristol City (a)

Southern League
Dartford (h)

Bristol City 4-1 ECFC (L 4-1)
Scorers: Mackay
Attendance: 17589


Dailey the Star Turn as Deputy In Dramatic Match


PATCHES of frozen snow remained on the ground at Ashton Gate to-day, and despite the overnight efforts of workers the playing pitch was still in a treacherous state.

One penalty area in particular was badly affected, and the half way circle was also difficult. The early kick-off was responsible for keeping the attendance below the expected figure and with five minutes to go there would not have been more than 10.000 spectators present.

The weather was fine, but cold. While Bristol City fielded an unchanged side, Exeter had one alteration from the team which beat Newport by three goals to two last week. 


Parches of frozen snow remained on the ground at Ashton Gate to-day, and despite the overnight efforts of workers the playing pitch was still in a treacherous state.

One penalty area in particular was badly affected, and the half way circle was also difficult. The early kick-off was responsible for keeping the attendance below the expected figure and with five minutes to go there would not have been more than 10.000 spectators present.

The Line-Up

Bristol City: Cook; Guy. Bailey; Peacock, White, Tovey: Jones, Eisentrager. Rodgers. Williams Boxley.

Exeter City: Kelly; Walton. Rowe; Booth, Goddard, Davey: Mitchell, Knight, Dailey, Mackay, Regan.

Referee: L. A. M. Mackay,

Goalkeeper sent off

The referee warned the Exeter
goalkeeper, and, when order was restored Eistrager took the spot kick.
Kelly dived and cleared the shot, but
the referee ordered the kick to be retaken because the goalkeeper had
moved before the signal. There was another general argument, and Kelly and the referee were engaged in further talk. It was some minutes before play was resumed. Meanwhile, Referee Mackay had ordered Kelly off the field and cautioned Goddard.
Then Dailey took over the goalkeeper's jersey. EISENTRAGER moved to retake the penalty kick, and this time he scored, to level accounts.

As Kelly left the field he was booed by Bristol fans but cheered loudly by the contingent of Exeter supporters. Although their ranks were depleted, the Exeter side played pluckily, and Cook was almost beaten by a grand shot from Mitchell. At the other end Rodgers shot was wide when well placed, and then Exeter raced away to force a corner. Mitchell's flag kick was cleared, but the winger regained possession and
centred again. for White to head out of danger. Exeter, however, continued to press and forced another corner, this time on the Regan wing. Again the flag
kick was cleared.

Dailey Hero

Considering their handicap. Exeter were doing well in this drama charged struggle, and Dailey did not have a shot to stop for nearly 20 minutes. There was, however, one narrow survival when Walton headed away from the goal-line. Booth came off second best in a tussle with Tovey, but was able to resume after attention. Called upon to deal with a shot from Rodgers. Dailey gathered the ball cleanly, but his goal kick went adrift. and Peacock drove the ball back first time. Dailey was out of position. but Rowe was there and was able to kick

To stem another Bristol attack. Dailey, brilliantly unorthodox, ran outside the penalty area to boot the ball away. Exeter's emergency goalkeeper distinguished himself repeatedly as the interval approached. He was the hero of the side, and saved from nearly every Bristol forward in turn. One save from Cyril Williams was a masterpiece. Dailey dived full length to perform a clearance which would have been creditable to an international goalkeeper He smothered the ball by the far post and turned it away for a corner. Alas. the flag kick brought Bristol a lead which was hardly justice to the gallant Exeter side. Boxley dropped the kick into the goalmouth. The ball was partially cleared. but Bailey kicked it back into the goa mouth to RODGERS, who. from an offside position. shot into the net from close quarters.

Play was held up again this time while Podgers recovered from the effect of a collision with Goddard, the strong Exeter centre-half.

Exeter were still full of fight, and thrill followed thrill at the Bristol end. In the fading light the side almost snatched an equalising goal when, from a movement started by Regan, Walton followed up and drove into the side netting with terrific force.

The watchful Dailey gathered a centre from Boxley, and the goalkeeper's clearance heralded more rousing Exeter attacks.

The visiting right-wing pair had the home defence rattled, and Cook came out and lost possession of the ball. The goalkeeper recovered, and held a shot from Mitchell, but he was bundled over the line for a corner.

A long skirmish in the 'home goalmouth ended in favour of the defence, and play again settled in midfield.

Gradually. Exeter's whole-hearted effort faded, and the game took an unexpected turn in favour of the home side in the final phase.

Two goals were scored in quick succession RODGERS got the first, 17 minutes from the end. and crowned a Bristol breakaway by beating Dailey with a high close range shot. Further tragedy befel Exeter a fewminutes later when WALTON deflected the ball into his own net as he tried to steer it past the far post for a corner.



Bristol's runaway victory by no means did justice to Exeter's gallant fight. Exeter, disorganised after Kelly was sent off the field soon after the start, were the superior side for long spells and their approach work was at times extraordinarily good. Luck was not with Exeter to-day, however. The team fought hard. and for more than an hour were in this amazing game with a good chance of capturing a point. Jim Dailey won the hearts of the crowd by his plucky and often good goalkeeping He received an ovation at half-time and again at the end of the hard-fought match. Football skill was almost at a discount on such a playing-pitch, and Exeter, if anything, made a better attempt to overcome the handicap than did their opponents That was one of the strange features of this sensational clash between the rival Western cities. Mackay was the pick of the Exeter forwards. for he controlled the ball better than any other attacker on view.

Attendance: 17.589

Southern League 



The only change in the Exeter Reserves team versus Dartford was at inside-left, where Murphy replaced Armes. For Dartford, Turner took over from Nash in goal, and Milroe went at left-half in place of Dearson.

An early raid by Dartford looked dangerous, but soon Exeter gained superiority Several promising movements looked well for Exeter, but poor finishing spoiled their chances:

Digby went far wide and Bolt came close, but Turner cleared. After eight minutes Exeter went ahead through ROSE. Fallon took a free kick which Murphy passed into Rose. The centre-forward had little difficulty in scoring from close range.

Murphy crashed the ball against the bar two minutes later, and Rose missed a sitter when the ball rebounded to his feet. He shot over the bar

After a persistent attack in which Murphy starred, Exeter went further ahead through HOWELLS in the 22nd minute. Murphy passed perfectly to the left winger who shot from 20 yards. Turner dived but an awkward bounce beat him and the ball went over his body into the net.

Thirteen minutes later ROSE scored again He snapped up Howell's pass and gave Turner no chance with a shot from point blank range

Half time:


Only two minutes of the second half had gone when HOWELLS scored Exeter's fourt after a long run down the middle Two minutes later BOLT scored the fifth, and then CLARKE scored Dartford's first Immediately BOLT went back and scored at the other end. and after another 14 minutes hard pressing. ROSE pushed Exeter's tally up to seven

Second half scorers were MURPHY and NEWSTEAD (own goal) for City Res


Exeter and District League 

Clyst Valley v. Exeter City "A"

With the "A" team a man short at the beginning, Clyst Valley started off in fine style and straight from the kick off a centre from Howe was brilliantly headed into the goal by ERIC YEO.

Clyst pressed and Yeo again went close with a header from Causley.

The "A" team, now at full strength, gradually settled down, but YEO added a second goal with a first-time shot from a centre by Darch,

The "A" team fought back well and WENSLEY scored a nice goal after good play on the right. Wensley was again just over the Valley crossbar, and the "A" team equalised when CAINES scored with the Valley players appealing for offside.

Clyst nearly took the lead when Dart cleared off the "A" team goal line a shot from Causley.



DARCH, YEO and HOWE scored for Clyst Valley scored in the 2nd half.



Allowed tags: <p>, <a>, <em>, <strong>, <ul>, <ol>, <li>