Match 29
21st January 1953
Colchester United (h)

ECFC 2-0 Colchester United
Scorers: Mitchell, Dailey
Attendance: 395


League 3rd Division South.

Wednesday, January 21st 1953.

St James's Park, Exeter.

Attendance 6,000.

Mitchell, Dailey.

Half-time Exeter City 0 Colchester 0.

Exeter's Two Goals In Last Ten Minutes

Limping before the end of the match, Mackay suffered a groin injury which may keep him out of action for a few weeks. He played an undistinguished part in Citys two goal triumph through goals which came in the 81st and 90th minutes. As a spectacle this game can be summed up in a sentance. Exchanges were hard but the constructive arts were missing. Each of the Citys Inside forwards gave sub standard performances. The result was seen in the disjointedness of the remainder of the line. Onlookers were resigning themselves to a goalless stalemate in a defencedominated struggle, when with 16 minutes remaining, Mitchell was brought down, a penalty was awarded Mitchell took the penalty and shot yards wide. 9 minutes of the game remained, when Mitchell atoned for his earlier failure he shot past the Goalkeeper after two passes from Davey and Dailey had split the hitherto watchful Colchester defence. The 2nd goal came from almost the last kick of the match. Harrison failed to intercept a long ball and McClelland centred to the waiting Dailey whose deflection had Wright beaten.

A deserved success ?. Undoubtedly for Citys 2nd half superiority more than set off Colchesters slight advantage that they had earlier enjoyed. It was the first win in 8 consecutive 3rd Division games and the first time that Exeter had kept the opposition from scoring since September 27th.

Match Summary 
Exeter beat Colchester 2-0, scoring both their goals in the last ten minutes when it seemed likely that the strong United defence would hold out. Exeter should have scored before this, Mitchell missing a penalty mid-way through the second-half. Neither side was impressive in attack and the game was dominated by the defences. McKim made a few good shots for Colchester and McClelland occasionally went close for Exeter. Mitchell made amends for his missed penalty by scoring City's first goal and in the last minute Dailey netted from a centre by McClelland.

Walton, Doyle;
Booth, Goddard, Davey; Mitchell, Mackay, Dailey, Murphy, McClelland.

Harrison, Rookes;
Bearryman, Stewart, Elder;
Jones, Barlow, McCurley, McKim, P.Wright.

Referee:- Mr R.J. Burgess of Reading. Linesmen: Messrs C.G.Porter and D.L.Scoble.


Allowed tags: <p>, <a>, <em>, <strong>, <ul>, <ol>, <li>