Match 36
7th March 1953
Ipswich Town (a)

Southern League.
Lovells Athletic (h)

9th March 1953.
Floodlit friendly.
Plymouth Argyle (h)

EXETER CITY 1 (Knight.)

Half-time Ipswich 0 Exeter City 0.

Saturday, March 7th 1953.
League 3rd Division South.

Portman-road, Ipswich.

No Manager could wish for a happier start than Tim Ward enjoyed, for while Ipswich were the more forceful side, Exeter's football was tidier, the City made few errors and on that account the result was correct. Pride of place must go to Knights match winning effort. The ball was crossed from the left, it bounced awkwardly as Knight and a defender drew near. The tussle was won by the City Inside right, stretching out his left leg he deftly hooked the ball over an opponents head then with a high powered right foot shot he had Parry beaten all the way from 25 yards. The goal brought Exeter their 2nd away win this season and their 2nd league victory in three months. 10 minutes from time, Singleton jumped to make a one handed save from Elsworthy shot that was speeding towards the roof of the net. City were not in grave danger until the last 15 minutes, then with Ipswich staking all on a policy of desperate attack the result nung precariously in the balance. As Goddards deputy, Wood who has signed a contract for the rest of the season made a satisfactory debut, wnion was steady and workmanlike. In a defence of all round merit, Doyle and singleton were the most prominent.

Acres, Deacon;
Myles, Rees, Parker;
Gaynor, Brown, Garneys, Elsworthy, Ball.

Walton, Doyle;
Booth, Wood, Davey;
Mitchell, Knight, Rose, Murphy, Digby.

Attendance: 8867

Referee:- Mr R.Hall of Harrow.

Southern League.

City Reserves 3 Lovells Athletic 0

at Exeter.

Team: Reed; Anderson, Rowe; Armes, Clark, Marsh: McClelland, Fallon, Harvey, MacKay, ? 

Monday, March 9th 1953.
Floodlit friendly.

St. James's Park, Exeter.

Exeter City 0.
Singleton; Anderson, Doyle; Booth, Wood, Davey; Mitchell, Knight, McClelland, Murphy, Digby.

Plymouth Argyle 3.
Shortt; Jelly, Jones; Dougall, Chisholm, Robertson; Dobbie, McCrory, Davis, Dews, Govan. Scorers Plymouth Dougall, Dobbie, Davis.

Attendance 8,130.
Receipts £908.


The lights were brilliant, Plymouth Argyle dazzled, Exeter City were eclipsed. No fault could be found with the floodlights, play could be followed easily from all parts of the ground and the onlookers delighted in the many rhythmic movements that Argyle produced against opposition of inferior quality. During the first half Argyle forced corners to Citys one. The only goal was scored by Dougall. Trouble came to Exeter when Dews and Robertson created an opening. The latters long cross field pass was met by Dougall who shot low into the net.

The promise of a 2nd half rally ended when Knight topped a close range lob inches over the bar, an unlucky ending to a good effort and from then onwards Argyles ascendancy was complete, Dobbie shot the 2nd goal, the ball entering the net low and just inside the post. Davis tapped the 3rd into an empty net after Singleton had pushed out a Dobbie cross drive. A fair result, for Plymouth had the edge everywhere and Goalkeeper Shortt had an easy time. Best player in the City side was Davey, he worked hard, was good with his head and defended dourly. The only real chance that City had was from City Fullback Anderson, late in the game whose shot was grandly saved by Shortt.

Before the game started a short ceremony took place, the Grecians Association formally handed over the floodlight installation to Exeter City F.C. and were thanked by the board of Directors. City were the first Football League ground in Devon to have floodlights. The new floodlights at St James's Park were officially declared open by the Mayor of Exeter, Mr R. Wayland - Smith.

(Dougall, Dobbie, Davis.)

Exeter City 0 Plymouth Argyle 1.

Sgt. Crockford,  Devon Regiment.


Allowed tags: <p>, <a>, <em>, <strong>, <ul>, <ol>, <li>