Veysey, Kenny

Birth Date

8th June 1967


Hackney, England



Biographical Text

Kenny Veysey, who was associated with Torquay United for nearly thirty years as both a player and coach, played a dozen games for Exeter City after a spell with Oxford United. He also appeared in the Football League for Plymouth Argyle.   

Kenny began his career as an apprentice with Arsenal before, when not offered professional terms, following his recently-relocated family to Devon. Joining Dawlish Town, Kenny was soon signed by Torquay United in November 1987 and played a major role in the club's run to Wembley in the 1989 Sherpa Van Trophy prior to sustaining an injury when colliding with teammate David Cole (later to briefly appear for Exeter). Missing the final Kenny recovered to become an an ever-present in 1989/90 ahead of, after 72 league appearances, moving to Oxford United in October 1990 in a £110,000 transfer. Staying at the Manor Ground for almost three years, and playing 57 times in the league, Kenny was briefly at Reading before signing for Exeter City on a free transfer in October 1993.

Kenny made his Grecians debut at Stockport on 16 October 1993 and, playing in a team that was to be relegated from the third tier of English football, featured in a total of twelve league games as understudy to Peter Fox. 

Released at the end of 1993/94 Kenny returned to non-league football with Dorchester Town until rejoining Torquay United in August 1997. Initially signed on a part-time basis, he eventually re-established himself as first-choice but, in the final game of the season and with Torquay chasing automatic promotion, Kenny was sent-off and missed the play-offs (and another Wembley appearance) with future Exeter ‘keeper Matt Gregg replacing him. 

Leaving Torquay after adding 37 league games to his total (and reaching 138 games for the Plainmoor club in all competitions), Kenny finished his Football League career by playing six times for Plymouth Argyle during 1999/2000. He then had a spell at Taunton Town before returning to Torquay as goalkeeping coach.  Also running a golf equipment shop in Paignton with Chris Myers (who also played for both Torquay and Exeter), Kenny again left Plainmoor only to return to the coaching staff in June 2007. Working in various capacities, Kenny remained with Torquay until October 2015 some twenty-eight years after he had first joined the club as a player.  





Allowed tags: <p>, <a>, <em>, <strong>, <ul>, <ol>, <li>