Match 18


Exeter City's Loss of Form



Southampton 2 Exeter City 1.


The Saints emulated the recent performance of Millwall, by beating the Grecians at St. James's Park, a success that was in every way deserved. Rigby, the City captain, was still on the sick list, and Evans continued to fill the vacancy. Hunter and Dockray, who made their debuts at Reading, kept their places in the forward line.


The attendance was in the region of four thousand. Strettle won the toss and Southampton kicked off facing strong sunshine.



Marshall Strettle

Smith Lagan Evans

Holt Hunter Goodwin(W) Lovett Dockray


Referee:- Mr T.Sephton, of Derby.



Andrews Jones Kimpton Dominy Curtin
McAlpine Denby Handley

Ireland Small



Southampton opened strongly and well business-like in their methods, but Strettle cleared the first attack. Then Exeter got through on the left but Hunter was offside. Pym ran out to save from Andrews, and Marshall cleverly intercepted a pass from Kimpton. The City continued to be aggressive and Dockray forced a corner, which was cleared. Lagan was performing splendidly at centre half in the opening stages, getting into position with good judgment whenever the Saints threatened danger. A spirited dash by Hunter won the City another corner, but again the flag kick was cleared without ceremony.


Southampton got away in force, with Dominy and Kimptonthe instigators of the move, and Pym made a great save from Dominy. Curtin put across a perfect centre, but Smith beat Jones to the ball and passed to Lagan, who cleared.


The City were rewarded with a goal after 25 minutes, Hunter heading past Wood after Dockray had worked a clever opening. The new winger was often conspicuous and deserved better support.


Wood went full length to save from Goodwin, but it did not take the Saints long to draw level. A misunderstanding between Marshall and Strettle allowed Denby to equalise the scores, with Pym on the ground and unsighted. The Exeter half backs should have had plenty of time to clear, for Denbyhad to have two attempts before he finally netted the ball.


Exeter Fall Away.

During the interval a recruiting meeting was held, Lieutenant A.E.Dunn making an appeal for men to join the Sportsmen's Battalion, of which Evans, of the City, is a member.


Exeter reopened as if to atone for their first-half blunder, but they failed to fulfil early expectations. In fact their play fell far below its usual standard, and they were in the end beaten by the better side.


Southampton gradually secured the whip-hand, and Jones gave them the lead from a perfect pass by Andrews.


Hunter headed narrowly wide for Exeter, and Dominy shot high over the bar for the visitors from easy range.


Andrews, who had provided the pass from which Southampton got the winning goal, was the outstanding man in the visiting attack, and in the closing stages had the beating of Smith and Marshall every time.


Exeter City's forwards gave an impotent display in the last half-hour, after opening brightly, and there can be no excuse for their deterioration. The players were all at sea, so to speak, and what attacks there were were of very poor quality. Before the interval they were good, Dockray and Goodwin being the nick of the line.


The half-backs failed to stay the pace, Lagan being at fault many times, and in fact the whole team was completely changed from a workmanlike eleven to a very listless combination.


There was much to admire in the display of Southampton, however, their dash and enthusiasm being very refreshing. Ireland was a tower of strength at left back, and Denby gave a masterly exhibition of centre half play.

City Reserves 

The City Reserves played a match against "A" Company, 11th Regiment, Devonport, and were beaten by two goals to nil.


Allowed tags: <p>, <a>, <em>, <strong>, <ul>, <ol>, <li>