George Campbell was one of the club’s founding members. Having been an original St Sidwell’s United player in 1901, he appeared for the newly-named Exeter City during the 1904/05 season.
Having previously turned out for Heavitree (the longest-established club in the area), he joined the new St Sidwell’s United club that had been formed largely by a group of 16- and 17-year olds who had attended St Sidwell’s school and lived close to the current St James’ Park.
Playing at left-back, he is first recorded as a member of the side that faced St David’s on 12 October 1901 although it is entirely possible that he had played in previous games for which records no longer survive.
He subsequently appeared on occasions for St Sidwell’s over the following three seasons but not always as a regular first-teamer. Staying on when the club’s name was changed to Exeter City in 1904, he first played under the club's new name in the fifth game of the season in the return fixture against 110th Battery Royal Artillery on 29 October 1904.
Having played four times in 1904/05, George did not appear during the following season but did play twice in 1906/07.
George Campbell (15) is recorded in the 1901 census as a solicitor’s clerk living in Newcombe Street, Heavitree, Exeter. By 1911 he was working as an accountant in a brewery.