Match 29
Southern League
ECFC v Southampton 1st January 1910

Tavistock v City Reserves

Saturday, January 1st 1910.

Southern League Match Against Chadwick's Old Team

The Christmas holiday matches did not, after all, lead to a very big alteration in the League table. The failure of Queen's Park Rangers at Coventry enabled Crystal Palace, though they were idle all the time, to retain their place at the top. The holiday programme has left Exeter City fourth from the bottom. had only Watford, Croydon Common, and Reading beneath them, but on on Tuesday evening, with the last of their Christmas games played, they Thursday they went above Southend United, the "Shrimpers" having come a heavy cropper at Northampton. It may, perhaps, be fairly said that before today's matches, no less than eight clubs were still in danger of relegation, namely Norwich City, Brentford, Millwall, Exeter City, Southend, Watford, Croydon, and Reading. The Grecians, nevertheless, made an excellent start to their 1910 programme of matches by defeating Southampton, one of the best clubs in the League, but not quite the champions of yesteryear, by two goals to nil at St. James's Park.

January 1st.
Exeter City 2 Southampton 0.

Exeter's victory was their first against Southampton, but it was well deserved, and had the margin at the finish been more than two goals in the City's favour, it would not have exaggerated their superiority. It was unfortunate for the "Saints " that they were without McGibbon, Jefferis, and Bainbridge, for their absence weakened their attack considerably. Bell was unable to turn out for Exeter due to injury, and Green continued at centre-forward with Hartley inside.
Teams :
Crossthwaite Crelley Jones Tierney Chadwick Atkinson Copestake Watson Green Hartley Garside

Referee:- Mr A.E. Farrant, of Bristol.

Blake Brittleton Carter Clark Davis.
Robertson Jepp Johnson
Glover Eastham

The game was of a very exciting and interesting character, and it is a long time since the City forwards exhibited such combination, and the victory was principally due to this fact. The first half, although productive of no goals, was for the most part a veritable duel between the Grecians' attack and the Southampton defence. Time after time the City got within shooting distance, but a Southampton defender was on every occasion handy to thwart the movement. Burrows was responsible for some brilliant clearances, and on one occasion he turned a terrific drive from Copestake around the post simultaneously with the crowd shouting for a goal. Crossthwaite had a comparatively easy time, the man who gave him the most trouble being Carter.
In the second half Exeter City continued to play some magnificent football, and only ten minutes had elapsed when Green snatched up a centre from Copestake and scored the first goal. For a time the City kept up a furious bombardment of the Southampton goal, and it was only the agility and competence of Burrows that kept the score down. Before one could realise what was happening Hartley shot a brilliant second goal from a pass by Green. Southampton never relaxed their efforts, however, and just before the finish they made a determined sortie on the Exeter goal, and forced a corner, but before the flag kick could be taken the whistle blew for the end of the match.

Exeter played well to a man, and were quite the masters at the finish. Green should be persevered with at centre-forward, because in addition to keeping his wingmen busy he exhibited splendid opportunism. Copestake appears to have returned to his best form, and he constant source of danger to his markers. Garside was also in good. was a fettle, and he had a capable partner in Hartley. The half - backs were better than the Southampton trio, and Tierney played a good defensive game. Crelley, Jones, and Crossthwaite were all excellent, and the whole team was more balanced and played with greater certainty than has been the case for several weeks. There is not much that can be said about the Southampton team, the best part of which was the defence. Eastham played a clever game at right-back, and Burrows gave a brilliant performance in goal. Jepp and Robertson exhibited plenty of energy, but the forwards, with exception of Blake, were only moderate. the Exeter's victory, the second during the week, will give much a wanted "fillip" to players and spectators alike.


Played at Tavistock, in fine weather. Exeter City Reserves beat Tavistock by two goals to one, after being a goal in arrears at the interval. Demellwick scored for the "Lambs", and Exeter's winning goals were obtained by Hopkins and Drew.

Neither Exeter City's first team or their Reserves have even won the trophy, and this victory should secure their place in the semi final, but it is understood that Tavistock intend to protest about


Allowed tags: <p>, <a>, <em>, <strong>, <ul>, <ol>, <li>