Match 03
Southern League 10th September 1910
Leyton v City

Plymouth and District League
City Reserves v Torquay Town

Saturday, September 10th 1910. SOUTHERN LEAGUE.

Grecians' First Away League Match


Brilliant weather prevailed when the City side arrived at Leyton just before three o'clock. Largely as a result of the reverse in the Southern Charity Cup-tie in midweek, the City made a few changes. Griffiths, who reported fit again, took over from Prideaux, who had filled the left half position in the first two matches, while Evans was dropped for Coates at right back and James for Smith at centre forward. The Rev. Kenneth Hunt journeyed from his home in Wolverhampton to assist the Essex side, and displaced the local player-manager. Buchanan.
Teams :
Busby Newton
Hunt Bell Gray
Durrant Buchan McGibbon Ryder West
Referee: Mr C.Austin.
Garside Bell Smith Watson Parnell Griffiths Pratt Bassett
Jones Coates
There was a crowd of about five thousand present as the teams came out, Leyton first, in their new colours, white with blue knickers, closely followed by Watson and his men, in green and white. For the third time this season Exeter lost the toss, but the sun, although strong, shone rather across the ground, and the advantage to Leyton was only slight. Exeter got through immediately, and Watson gave out to Parnell. Busby met his centre and conceded a corner, but from the flag kick McGibbon got away and passed to Durrant. The latter beat Jones and swung across a dangerous centre, but West, with a clear, open goal, shot yards over the bar. Exeter returned to the attack, and pretty combination between Bell and Garside put Smith in possession, but he was beaten by Mark Bell (Leyton). McGibbon, lying well up, galloped away once more from Mark Bell's pass, and West was given another good chance, but drove a yard wide. A foul against Smith saw Leyton attack strongly, and Mc Gibbon drove with terrific force from twenty yards, but Whittaker effected a grand save, and charged the ball down for Jones to clear.
In saving from Ryder with two or three Leyton forwards trying to bustle him Whittaker was badly shaken up, and needed the trainer's attention. Directly he resumed he had to save again from McGibbon, and Griffiths kicked clear from Ryder, then from Durrant. Smith, the new centre forward, kept too far up the field, and was several times off side, while later he was cautioned by the referee for jumping at an opponent. Exeter were under pressure most of the time, and Whittaker had covered himself with glory on many occasions. Half time 0 - 0.
Leyton were first away on the resumption, but Griffiths pulled them up. Parnell was tripped, and took the free kick himself, which he sent behind. Free kicks against Smith and Griffiths spelt danger for the City, and Leyton, piling on the pressure, were going all out for a score. Numerous free kicks were given against Exeter, and Whittaker made a flying one-handed save from McGibbon. The crowd rose to the Exeter goalkeeper for that save, and he well deserved the applause. McGibbon and Pratt were both hurt in a collision, but resumed, and Pratt then passed forward to Smith, who rushed between the backs and made himself a clear route to goal. Whitbourne advanced, and Smith, trying to steer the ball wide of the goalkeeper, put it beyond the far post, and a good chance was lost.
So successful had Walter Whittaker been in repelling the Leyton attacks almost single-handed, and so well had he extricated himself from many seemingly impossible situations that even Leyton supporters expressed sympathy for him when he was ultimately beaten. This goal, which won the game for Leyton, came in the last few minutes, and was scored by Buchan with a nice, lofting shot into the top of the net.
Result: Leyton 1 goal, Exeter City nil.

(In their two previóus visits to the Leyton ground the Grecians were beaten 4-2 in 1908-09 and 5-1 last season)

For their victory over Exeter City, Leyton were greatly indebted to the fine half-back work of the Rev. K.R.G. Hunt, Mark Bell, and Gray. Theappearance of the old Wolverhampton Wanderer was gladly welcomed, and it looks as if the strength of the East London club in the current season will be in its half-back line. Next in importance was the work of Whittaker in the City goal. He was just as agile as in his old Orient days, and although he had his share of good fortune, he alone stood between the City and a crushing defeat. Watson, returning to the League side after injury, was not at his best, and but for a useful debut by Coates, and the work of Whittaker before mentioned, there was nothing very striking in the City team. Smith, in his first game at centre forward, was too often caught offside, and had too many free kicks given against him. He also did not take advantage of one great opportunity, when a miskick by Newton gave him a fine run in upon Whitbourne; instead he allowed himself to be flurried by the Leyton 'keeper rushing out at him.

CITY RESERVES V TORQUAY TOWN. Plymouth and District League.
Exeter Reserves opened their Plymouth League programme today at St. James's Park with a match against Torquay Town. There was an attendance of about 3,000 present when Torquay won the toss, and decided to play away from the St. James's Road end of the ground.
CITY RESERVES:- W.Wells; Evans, White; Duffy, Prideaux, Letheren;
E.Whittaker, Martin, James, Drew, and Cooke.
TORQUAY TOWN:- Paltridge; W.Cudlipp, J.Cudlipp; Durbin, Simmons, Saunders; F.Evans, Meager, P.C.Evans, Singlehurst, and Reed.
Referee:- Mr. Davis, of Yeovil.
Torquay were the first to attack, but Crad Evans put behind. In another attack Wells punched the ball clear, Prideaux booted it up the field, and Letheren, nicely tricking the opposing back, found the net with a ground shot five minutes after the start. This was, in fact, the first goal scored by an Exeter team this season. To save his goal in a fierce Exeter attack W.Cudlipp deliberately handled. Duffy took the penalty and drove the ball low into the net, Paltridge never getting near it. Drew put the Grecians further ahead with a smart shot into the corner of the net from Whittaker's pass.
Exeter City 3-0 Torquay Town nil.
Soon after the restart Crad Evans scored for the visitors, but Martin restored the three goals margin, and James got a fifth goal.
City Reserves 5-1 Torquay Town


Allowed tags: <p>, <a>, <em>, <strong>, <ul>, <ol>, <li>