Match 09
Southern League 8th October 1910
Exeter v Southend

Plymouth and District League.

Saturday, October 8th 1910.

A Difficult Task Against the Seasiders 
Exeter City announced that Hughes, recovered at last from the knee trouble which ensued as the result of a kick he received in the first match of the season, was fit again, and it was therefore decided to play him at centre-forward. Southend, at the same time, announced two changes from the side that was beaten at Brighton last week, Lavers and Evans displacing Chalkey and Sutherland.
Southend have this year changed their colours from loyal blue to red and old gold hoops, and during the summer sade additional banking accommodation on their ground. The enclosure is still very much on the small side, and the pitch rather a puzzling one for visiting teams. It is situated in the village of Prittlewell, which is a good mile from Southend, but is served by the electric tram service. Having won only once so far, and being due at Swindon next week, Southend United were out to make a desperate effort to secure the full race of points this afternoon.
Clarke Murray, Molyneux, Emery, Lavers, Craig, Evans, Frost, King, McKenna, Dunn. 
Referee:- Mr H..Child, of Harlesden.
Whittaker, Coates, Jones, Bassett, Pratt, Prideaux, Parnell, Watson, Hughes, Bell, Garside. 

Southend, in their new colours, were first out, but the crowd ar that ties was very small. Exeter City met with a cordial reception. Watson won the toss, and elected to play away from the town end, but there was very little advantage, the atmospheric conditions being very overcast. Southend were checked by Pratt and Bassett, and Hughes sent out a likely pass to Parnell, the latter's centre being back heeled into touch by Lavers. In a subsequent move Garside was given offside, and a foul was awarded against Prideaux. This enabled Southend to attack, and Bell missed the ball when he had an opportunity to clear. However, the play veered towards the Southend half, and Garside's centre was headed out by Emery, but Prideaux returned the ball for Watson to steer it over the bar. Play still remained in the Essex territory and Pratt put in the first real shot of the match. It was a hard one, along the ground, and Clarke experienced some difficulty in saving.
Southend were driven back by Jones, and at the end of ten minutes Hughes headed a grand goal from Parnell's centre. Southend were given a free kick close in, which was taken by Molyneux, and Pratt cleared. Jones, with a good tackle, put an end to a combined move between Frost and Evans. The Southend front rank were continually being stopped by Exeter's halves, and showed poor combination. McKenna got right into the City's penalty area but shot wide, and Bell was quickly at the other end, Clarke running out and clearing. From a free kick for offside against Southend Garside obtained the ball, and steering clear of the backs, darted inwards and scored a nice goal, Clarke being beaten all ends up. The second goal seemed to take all the heart out of Southend, and they played in very poor style, although for a time they were in the Grecians' territory. A free kick against Coates for jumping was dealt with, but the home side came again, and from a centre by Evans, King scored with a shot which struck the upright and bounced into the net. There were now only four minutes left before half-time, and the City again attacked in great style. Parnell had a shot saved by Clarke, and Whittaker tipped over from Frost. The whistle, however, went for off side, and much to the crowd's disgust a free kick was awarded to the City instead of a corner to Southend. Half-time:
The second half opened in very quiet style, and the ball went into touch in the home territory. Parnell got himself offside from one of Prideaux's forward passes, and a bout of high kicking between the backs then ensued. Exeter were having by far the better of the game, mainly because the passing of the forwards was being carried out accurately and speedily, and Emery on one occasion had his work cut out to stop Garside. Then Southend attacked by way of a change, and McKenna got through right in front of goal, but shot wildly over the bar. Emery gained a corner off Coates, but Prideaux kicked clear. Exeter nearly added a third goal to their total, but when Bassett gave Parnell a forward pass the winger was pulled up for offside.

Last season: Exeter 3 Southend 1.
In 1908-09: Exeter 2 Southend 1.

Exeter City deservedly defeated Southend at the Roots Hall ground, where previously they had failed to score. Having quite four-fifths of the play, the City, a clever and workmanlike side on today's form, were unfortunate in not winning by a wider margin. Pratt was a tower of strength in the City half back line, his tackling and heading being first-class; he was also ever alert to the possibilities of starting up an attack, by swinging the ball out to Parnell. Pratt was well backed up by Bassett and Prideaux, who are tacklers of more than average ability. Hughes led the forward line well, but failed somewhat in the matter of shooting. Garside and Bell formed a very good wing, and Parnell's speed was a constant source of worry to the hard-pressed Southend defence. Unfortunately Watson did not seem to be properly fit, and had a very poor game by his standards.


Plymouth and District League.
The weather was fine, and there were about 2,000 spectators at St. James's Park when White won the toss for the Reserves. Smith dribbled past Bartlett and Prowse, but Terry ran across and cleared. After 15 minutes, as the result of a good combined movement, James
beat the defence and shot the ball into the net, giving Crute no chance. Ten minutes later James drove in another hard shot from all of 25 yards to put the Reserves two up. Clifford, from about a similar distance, scored for the visitors a minute before the interval.
After Crute had saved brilliantly from Smith, the City centre beat the goalkeeper from close in. Ten minutes from the end Clifford scored for the Babes with a shot that Wells thought was going wide, the ball entering the net inches inside the post.
City 3 Babbacombe 2.
RESERVES:- Wells; Evans, White; Pym, Griffiths, Letheren; Whittaker, James, Smith, Drew, and Cooke.

BABBACOMBE:- Crute; Terry, Prowse; Hopkins, Udranfski, Bartlett; Frayn, Bassett, Clifford, Gilchrist, and Port.


Allowed tags: <p>, <a>, <em>, <strong>, <ul>, <ol>, <li>