Match 14
Southern League 29th November 1910
Queens Park Rangers v Exeter City

Plymouth and District League
City Reserves v St Austell

Saturday, November 5th 1910.


Exeter's Task at Park Royal:
Exeter City were at Park Royal, London, this afternoon engaged in a Southern League match against the former champions, Queen's Park Rangers. They left St. David's this morning at 10.15 and arrived on the ground half an hour before the kick off. Pratt resumed at centre half while Hughes, as at Southend, was put centre-forward. Watson also made a return to the team, but Bell had not sufficiently recovered from his illness to be able to appear, and James was Garside's partner on the left. The Rangers were not at full strength, McNaught and McKie being injured, and Whyman and W.H.O.Steer, the famous amateur, were included among the forwards. Browning, whom the Rangers secured from Kettering, and Brindley, late of Crewe Alexandra, also played, and the only one of the regular forwards to appear was Barnes, the captain. Bill Wake, well remembered at Exeter, was in his usual position of left half.
Shaw; Macdonald and Fidler; Mitchell, Hartwell, and Wake; Brindley, Whyman, Steer, Browning, and Barnes.
Whittaker; Evans and Jones; Bassett, Pratt, and Prideaux; Parnell, Watson, Hughes, James, and Garside.
Referee:- Mr W.J.Field, of Rotherham.

Walt Whittaker played with the middle finger of his right hand bandaged. He dislocated the finger in trying to stop Millwall's second goal last Saturday, and it was still swollen. Watson won the toss but there was little advantage in it, and at three minutes past three Steer started the game. Prideaux checked the first move and put the ball out to Garside. A long pass to Parnell went behind, but Exeter returned and Parnell swung the ball into the goalmouth. James netted after a scrimmage but was ruled offside. Whittaker saved from Steer at the other end, but with Exeter doing most of the attacking Fidler rushed across and checked Watson as he was about to shoot, and the ball went harmlessly over the line. The Rangers forced a corner off Prideaux but Pratt cleared, and Watson and Parnell again took play into the home territory. Parnell was tackled by Wake as he was preparing to shoot, and the ball went into touch.

After Steer had shot wide following a fast attack on the Exeter goal, Prideaux miskicked, and Browning looked certain to score with a header, but Whittaker saved in his best style. Watson was fouled by Hartwell, and Pratt put the free kick over the bar. Just afterwards Browning missed badly with an open goal, and Steer bundled Jones into the back of the netting but Whittaker gathered the ball and cleared. The Rangers opened the scoring after ten minutes, Whyman beating the defence and passing to Steer, who transferred the ball into the middle to Browning. Standing almost beneath the crossbar, Browning had merely to tap the ball into the net.
Although the goal was a simple one, the move between Whyman and Steer leading up to it was an excellent example of good combination, and the Rangers deserved their lead. Whyman should have added to the lead a minute later, but with an open goal in front of him, he sent yards wide. After a clever move had been worked by Watson, James and Hughes, the new centre-forward put in a rasping shot with narrowly missed, but in a second attack he allowed himself to be robbed when he had the goal at his mercy. Chances continued to be missed by both sides, and at the interval the score remained: Rangers 1 goal, Exeter City nil.

In the second half the game was a lot more robust, and miskicks, inaccurate passing, and stoppages for fouls and minor infringements were the order of the day. After a brief period of pressure by the Rangers the Grecians' had matters practically all their own way, but it was as much owing to the weak tackling of the home half backs as any individual merit on the part of the City forwards. Hughes was proving at least equal to any other centre-forwards tried by the City this season, but James and Watson both faded out towards the end of the game, giving little support to Hughes. Near the close there was much unnecessary fouling, and Steer was so badly hurt that he had to go on the left wing, and was almost a passenger. The weak shooting continued right to the end of the game. Whyman was guilty of the worst miss of the match after Barnes had beaten the Exeter defence and put the ball into the goalmouth, while Hughes and James both fumbled the ball in front of the Queen's Park goal, and were easily dispossessed. In the very last minute Parnell hit the upright with only Shaw in front of him. Final:

Last season: Rangers 2 Exeter City 0. In 1908-09: Rangers 1 Exeter City 1.


at St. James's Park

The Rugby County Championship match between Devon and Gloucester at the other end of the city made a big difference to the "gate" at St. James's Park, and barely five hundred people were on the ground when the teams appeared. Mullis, the St. Austell inside-right, missed his train and was not present at the commencement, the Cornishmen's front line consisting of only four forwards.
Teams :
Reserves: W. Wells; Coates, White; Duffy, Griffiths, Letheren; Whittaker, Smith, Maxsted, Martin, and Cooke.
St. Austell:- Marshall; Hisbent, Pentecost; Blight, Holberton, Ennor; Hawke, Mullis (absent), Knapp, Romer, and Matthews.
The City kicked off and immediately attacked, Cooke heading over from Whittaker's centre. Two minutes later, from a beautiful centre by Cooke, Smith headed neatly into the net. St.Austell freely attacked and Matthews put the ball over the bar, but the City continued to have the upper hand and Smith nearly scored again but headed against the crossbar. Maxsted, who was playing well on his first appearance, scored twice, the second being helped into his own net by Marshall in attempting to save.
Half time: 3- nil.
With a quarter of an hour remaining Mullis, who had arrived in time for the second half, was fouled in the penalty area. Ennor took the shot, and drove the ball into the top corner of the net. Maxted completed his "hat-trick" with a thunderous drive that no goalkeeper could have stopped, and shortly before the call of time Whittaker brought the ball in from the wing, drew Marshall out, and shot into the empty net.
Reserves 5 goals, St. Austell l.


Allowed tags: <p>, <a>, <em>, <strong>, <ul>, <ol>, <li>