Match 22
December 17th 1910.

Saturday, December 17th 1910.

Canaries Rearrange Their Forwards

For the second Saturday in succession Exeter City were at home, the visitors being Norwich City. The East Anglians were having quite a measure of success this season, being placed sixth in the League, and the Grecians, despite their victory over the champions last week, were still last but two. The "Canaries" left home yesterday morning and travelled through to Teignmouth, where they stayed last night. They announced the same defence as last week, but made some important forward alterations. Jobling, last year with Carlisle United, and usually the outside-left, was substituted for his old clubmate, Makin, at centre-forward, while R.J.Hemmell, a Norwich scho 1-teacher, made his first appearance in the Southern League, on the wing. Whiteside, last year a Rossendale player, resumed in place of Rayner, having recovered from injury. Exeter City relied on precisely the same eleven as beat Brighton, and the teams were:
Evans Jones
Bassett Pratt Prideaux
Parnell Watson Hughes Bell Garside
Referee:- Mr G.H.Muir, of Southampton.
Levi Whiteside Jobling Ingham Hammell Bibby Wolstenholme Wilkinson McKenzie Hampson

Though one or two showers fell this morning the ground was in much better condition than last week, the high winds having served to dry it considerably. The Norwich party, which included several directors, were on the ground nearly an hour before the start. They seemed to be confident of doing better than last week, when they lost at Southend by a goal to nil. The fact that their enclosure is much like St. James's Park accounted for their sanguine spirits.
Norwich City were first on the field, looking very smart in their yellow shirts with green sleeves and collars. They won the toss, and elected to play towards the City end. Exeter made the first attack, which was halted by Hampson, and Wolstenholme set his forwards off. They went down in a perfect line and Whiteside gave Whittaker a hot handful to hold. Back came the City, and Bell swung the ball out to Parnell. Beale beat down the winger's shot, but in the scrummage which ensued in the goalmouth Garside nipped in and scored the first goal amid an out burst of cheering. The Grecians appeared likely to add to the score with two good attacks, but in both cases Bell shot wide. Beale was charged over in one rush, and the City appealed for a penalty for hands, but Mr Muir tapped his shoulder to indicate that the ball had not been handled.
Norwich Score at the Wrong End
This decision mattered little, however, for the City forced three corners. From the last one, finely placed by Garside, Hughes headed forward, and McKenzie, jumping at the ball, headed it into his own goal, Beale catching it and falling into the back of the net.

Then the Right One
Exeter eased up a little following their second goal, and Norwich made headway. Evans twice cleared the home lines, then a free kick to the East Anglians was taken by Wolstenholme. Hemmell got the ball, evaded Jones, and seemed likely to go through on his own when Pratt nipped in and robbed him. Watson was hurt, and retired to the touch line, and it was while he was absent that the Canaries reduced the lead. They got through following a miskick by Garside, and after Whittaker had punched away a high centre from Levi, Ingham fastened on to the ball and put it into the unguarded net with Exeter vainly appealing for an infringement. Norwich almost equalised, and for a time Exeter were defending, Whittaker saving brilliantly from Jobling. But, following a free kick in Exeter's half of the field Bell darted past the halves and backs in his well known style. He gave a square transfer to Hughes, who was badly brought down in the penalty area. Mr Muir had no hesitation in awarding the penalty, and Jones beat Beale with a hard grounder. At the interval Exeter led by three goals to one. The ground became woefully churned up in the second half, and it was surprising the pace was kept up in these conditions. The City continued the better side, but nothing further was scored, the final tally remaining at:-
Exeter City 3, Norwich City 1.


Allowed tags: <p>, <a>, <em>, <strong>, <ul>, <ol>, <li>