Match 34
February 18th 1911.
Southern League.
Coventry (a)

Reserve Friendly
Babbacombe (h)

Saturday, February 18th 1911. 

Southern League.


The Grecians' Splendid Win Away:

At Coventry, the wind was very gusty and the sky overcast, but the ground was dry. Coventry had Saul, Barnacle, and Bradley absent, with injuries, while Exeter were without Watson, injured, and Jones, who has been transferred to Bristol City. Hughes, who recently lost his place at centre-forward to Smith, was also transferred Bristol-wards, to the Rovers. The attendance was about 5,000 at the start.
Evans; Juggins and Johnson; Hickleton, Boston, and Chaplin; Parkes, Tickle, Smith, Welch, and Buckle.
Referee: Mr R.Stephens, of London.
EXETER: Whittaker; Evans and Coates; Bassett, Pratt, and Prideaux; Parnell, James, Smith, Bell, and Garside.

It was noticed that the two goalkeepers came up to toss for choice of ends, and both were wearing the same coloured grey jerseys. Walter Whittaker beat Evans, and set Coventry against the wind. Tickle was soon prominent, Pratt saving just in time, and at the other end a shot from Garside went harmlessly over the bar. The wind severely handicapped play, taking the ball in unexpected directions. Garside and Bell made a good opening, but Johnson, the old Exeter City player, dispossessed Pratt very neatly. From a long kick by Exeter's Evans, aided by the wind, Juggins and Johnson made efforts to clear, but Bell gained possession and scored for the City with a fine shot. After Parkes had forced a corner off Coates an exciting struggle took place in the City goalmouth, Welch eventually kicking the ball over the bar. Smith of Coventry made a commendable effort to score, but shot too high. In attempting to get the ball from a ruck of players in his goalmouth, Evans (Coventry) hurt his arm and went off, Hickleton taking over in goal. Coventry attacked strongly and Exeter were pulled up several times for foul play. Welch put in a hefty shot that Whittaker saved under the bar amid strong sppeals for a goal. Tickle made a strong first time drive that skimmed the upright, and Coventry were playing very well despite having to face the blustery wind. Boston stopped James cleverly when the inside-man was well placed, while Juggins rendered further assistance. Twelve minutes before the interval Exeter were rewarded, Garside passing to Bell, who scored with a shot that bounced off the upright into the net. Hickleton touched the ball but could not keep it out. Smith (Exeter) headed just wide, and Garside looked dangerous, but Juggins got the better of him and cleared. At half time Exeter were leading by two goals to nil. Twenty minutes after the restart "Tiger" Smith got the ball in his own half of the field, and making a bee-line for the Coventry end, went all the way, finishing up with a brilliant goal. Shortly before the finish Welch scored for Coventry.

Exeter City 3 goals, Coventry 1.

The City are now seventh in the League table, with 27 points. In three successive away matches five points have been earned, and the optimism that was so freely expressed before the start of the season now appears justified, despite the club's poor start.


The City Reserves, being without a Plymouth League match, met Babbacombe in a "friendly" at St. James's Park. The "Babes" had to take the field without Crute and Frayne, who were playing for Devon in the Southern Counties' Amateur Championship semi-final. The City tried out two new players, Ward and Smale, both of Okehampton, and also included Percy Worner, the old St. Luke's scholar.
Teams :
Reserves:- Ward; Heppell, White; Smale, Duffy, Pym; E.Whittaker,
Worner, Martin, Drew, and Cooke.
Babbacombe:- Rowse; Birbeck, Prowse; Mansfield, Hopkins, Terry; Bartlett, Gilchrist, Odam, Clifford, and Port.

Referee:- Mr W.G.Bastin.

The "Babes", in the Aston Villa colours, were first out, and won the toss. The City straightaway had a lucky escape when Ward, holding the ball, was charged and lost possession, but the leather was scrambled away by Duffy. Ten minutes before the interval Odam scored for the visitors with a good shot, and at this stage the news of the half-time score at Coventry came through to arouse the crowd's enthusiasm, not heretofore very much in evidence. After White had put the ball over the bar from a penalty kick, the City got a second award when Martin was tripped, and this time the shot was entrusted to Whittaker, who made no mistake.
City Reserves 1, Babbacombe 1.


Allowed tags: <p>, <a>, <em>, <strong>, <ul>, <ol>, <li>