Match 02
14th August 1968 League Cup
Plymouth v ECFC
& 21st August 1968 League Cup Replay
& 26th August 2968 League Cup Replay 2.

Wednesday, 14th August
Plymouth Argyle (Away)

Football League Cup

Draw 0-0

City continued their good start to the season by giving Third Division Argyle a hard time on their own ground. Argyle im proved in the second half but City nearly always had the edge on them and came very close to winning this tie; indeed, a win would have been well deserved for it was the City who went closest to scoring when Dave Pleat hit an upright and also when Alan Banks had a fine effort cleared off the line by Johnny Hore when goalkeeper Pat Dunne was beaten. On another occasion he saved brillantly from John Kirkham.

Shearing; Smyth, Balson; Kirk ham, Newman, Harvey; Corr, Banks, Bullock, Mitten, Pleat.

Attendance: 8,662

Wednesday, 21st August, 1968
Football League Cup,
1st round (replay)
Plymouth Argyle (home),
Draw 0-0

The large crowd certainly had their money's worth of football entertainment this evening when they were treated to two hours of fast, cut and thrust football.
During the first half-hour the City played some of the finest attacking foot ball seen from the home side in a post war game at St. James Park, but for all their dash, determination and skill they could open-up very few real scoring chances.  
Jimmy Blain got the ball into the Argyle net after 32 minutes but at that moment Peter Bullock was quite rightly ruled offside, and although they were the more deserving team at that stage the City had to change ends without anything to show for their undoubted superiority. However, the longer the game went on the more Argyle improved and Peter Shearing was called upon to make a couple of saves after the interval although just before the end of full-time Pat Dunne made an equally fine save from David Pleat. There were more tense and exciting moments in extra time but by the end Argyle had recovered their poise and on the run of play a draw was a fair result.

Team-Shearing; Smyth, Balson; Kirk ham, Harvey, Newman; Blain, Banks, Bullock, Mitten, Pleat.

Monday, 26th August, 1968
Football League Cup,
1st rd. (2nd replay)
Plymouth Argyle (at Torquay),
won 1-0 after extra time.

When John Kirkham's goal brought City victory after nearly 5 hours foot ball it is no exaggeration to say that this was one of the happiest moments in the club's history. Maybe this is because it had been such a long tense struggle, or because we had beaten our Devon rivals, but there is no doubt that all the club's supporters were proud of the lads at the end of this game.

What is more, I believe that City was the team that deserved victory. Maybe I am prejudiced but overall there is little doubt that City played the finer brand of attacking football.

It is true that there wasn't a lot in it, but even when Argyle had the City going for a spell in the second half they always seened pre-occupied with maintaining numerical superiority in defence,

The team was the same as for the previous game except that, fortunately for us, Dermot Curtis was brought on as substitute in extra time. He played his part well and provided John Kirkham with the chance to apply the winner.


Allowed tags: <p>, <a>, <em>, <strong>, <ul>, <ol>, <li>