Match 07
Saturday 9th September 1972
Football League
Workington v Exeter City

9th September 1972
Football League
Workington 3-1 Exeter City

What the papers say 

Exeter looked to be right on top when they were rocked by two goals trialist John Ward, on loan to Workington from Lincoln. They had produced all the early pressure with Plumb scoring his first goal in six matches since sign ing from Charlton in the twenty sixth minute. Twelve minutes later Ward equalised with a twelve-yard header. And within sixty seconds he had dived to head in a second, almost on the goal-line. Four Exeter men-Binney, Plumb, Parker and Giles-were booked before Goodfellow delivered the final blow eight minutes from the end, weaving from the right flank to hit an acute drive almost from the by line.
Sunday Mirror

Exeter had plenty of time on the 400-mile trip back home to try and work out just how they lost their grip on this game. They were a goal up in the 26th minute but then allowed Workington to take command, and could not re gain the initiative even when home 'keeper Mike Rogan switched to the right wing.
It was a mistake by Rogan which allowed Exeter to take the lead in the 26th minute. He failed to hang on to a shot from Tony Morrin at the foot of one upright and Dick Plumb swooped in to hook it in.
Sunday Express

Exeter's hopes rose when Dick Plumb stormed in to score in the 26th minute his first goal since being signed from Charlton six matches ago. But then came a shock for the fast-moving Exeter side. The man who wrecked Exeter was John Ward. Any player can be happy if he scores a goal in his League debut for a new club, but Ward made it a day to remember with two in a minute for Workington. Exeter's goal came when Mike Rogan failed to hang on to a shot from Tony Morrin and Plumb netted. off the far post.
News of the World

Everything went wrong for Exeter, even though they scored an early goal and Workington lost goalkeeper Mike Rogan with a broken nose. Rogan's injury came mid-way through the second half when he collided with a post in saving a
header from Plumb. Wilson the Workington player coach took over in goal-and after a brief retirement for treatment Rogan resumed wearing the No. 2 shirt. In the early stages Exeter were winning the ball in midfield with Giles and Gibson working well, but Binney wasted the scoring chance. Plumb put them ahead when Rogan could only parry a shot by Morrin and the City striker stabbed the ball home. Workington were struggling and it was against the run of play when Ward, on loan from Lincoln, scored the equaliser with a fine header. And Ward headed a second goal from a centre by Ogilvie. Four Exeter players were booked, Binney, Parker and Giles for something they said to the referee and Plumb for a late tackle.
Sunday People

Outplayed for the first 35 minutes and without goalkeeper Mick Rogan for the last 25, Reds still managed to win. There was no denying Exeter a deserved lead in the 25th minute. Richard Plumb, a £7,000 summer signing, grabbed his first goal for the club after Rogan had failed to gather cleanly a strong shot from Tony Morrin.
The inside left hadn't been picked up from a throw-in along the left and he was allowed to go inside and fire at will at Rogan. Things didn't get any better and Workington's only effort of note in the opening half hour was a shot from Dave Irving on the run which Bob Wilson managed to turn behind for a corner. Act one to Exeter-but then enter John Ward. Two goals inside a minute from the willowy striker completely transformed the game and gave reds an interval lead they could not have expected.
Workington News and Star

  • Press Cuttings were Supplied by-G. T. Allman Esq. Clifton Road Newsagency, Exeter.



Allowed tags: <p>, <a>, <em>, <strong>, <ul>, <ol>, <li>