Match 39
17th March 1973
Bury (h)

17th March 1973
Football League
Exeter 1-1 Bury

The teams:- 

EXETER CITY: Clarke, Stacey. Benson, Parker, Giles, Balson, Neale, Binney, Plumb, Morrin, Wingate. Sub.: Clapham.

Forrest, Tinney, Kennedy, G. Williams, Holt, Heslop, Sweeney, Murray, Spence, Tinsley, Connelly. Sub.: B. Williams.

Referee: A. P. Oliver (Leigh-on-Sea).


Fred Binney scored his 22nd goal of the season at St. James's Park this afternoon in the last minute of Exeter City's Division 4 game against Bury to give the City a 1-1 draw. It could well be that this will be a significant goal for Exeter, but on this performance the City will not gain promotion. There were no late changes

There were no late changes in the Exeter side, which meant that Clarke and Benson were making their home league debuts. Clarke was immediately in action, racing off his line to beat Murray to the ball. Exeter could have been in trouble in the fourth minute. A long clearance by Forrest caught the City defence unready; the ball bounced badly for them on the hard surface, and Connelly was clear. Connelly moved forward and as Clarke moved off his line, the Bury player tried a chip shot, and Clarke did well to stretch himself to save by getting a hand to the ball. Again Clarke did well, this time rushing off his line to save from Murray as the last line of defence. So far, Clarke had made an impressive start in the opening minutes of his home League debut. When Exeter broke, Neale read the situation well down the right. He allowed for the bounce and it came off. Neale set off down the right, but his good work was spoiled when his cross went into the side netting. As Exeter went forward again, Binney chased a long ball. He tried to go inside by heading the ball on, but he played himself into trouble. Bury, however, were looking the more dangerous side in breaks, and but for Clarke they might have taken an early lead. A good City move might have paid off in the 23rd minute. Parker hit a long ball to Plumb on the left. Plumb moved forward and hit a cross ball that sped across the area. and Binney just missed it at the far post as be rushed in. Exeter built up well down the right and were behind the Bury defence. But after good work by Morrin and Parker, Binney put his cross behind. Benson, as at Hereford last week, was showing his experience and continually urging on City. Following a free kick Benson crossed from the left, but Binney shot wide. Bury forced two successive corners, and on the second occasion, Clarke did well as he came off his line to pick the ball out of the air. Even though the pitch was hard, the standard of football could have been better, although Bury could not have complained.

Half-time: Exeter City 0, Bury 0

Following a throw in, Morrin forced a corner, but it was cleared without any trouble. But City were behind in the 49th minute. From a throw in on the left, Kennedy hit a low, hard cross into the City area, and CONNELLY, on the turn, hit a low left-footed shot wide of Clarke. Connelly's deft footwork earned Bury a corner, from which Parker headed away from under the bar. Now Exeter had it all to do, and following a corner Binney, perhaps taken a little unawares, failed to control the ball from a few yards out. Then Parker hit a volley shot wide, and when Neale broke down the right, his cross was well taken out by Forrest. But Exeter were struggling and were just not looking like scoring. On more than one occasion Neale showed his quick burst of speed off the mark but Binney and Plumb were not at all dangerous up front. The supporters were becoming frustrated to say the least, and who could blame them. Exeter were really struggling and in the 68th minute manager John Newman made a switch. He took off Plumb, brought substitute Keith Clapham, who went into midfield with Wingate moving up front as a striker. Something extra was needed from Exeter. Bury's goal, in many ways, was not unexpected. Bury had threatened much more than Exeter, who had to take both points from this game if they were to continue talking of possible promotion. Bury were doing a good job, and from a long clearance Giles had to move quickly to play the ball back to Clarke when under, severe pressure from 

Exeter had now pushed Balson forward as well, and they were awarded a free kick four yards outside the Bury area. A short ball was pushed to Wingate, who hit a good drive that was just wide of the post with Forrest completely beaten. Still Exeter were struggling. One colleague in the Press box said: You wait, Exeter will draw this game." But I could not agree because the City were just not looking like scoring. Some supporters were leaving the ground at least ten minutes before the end. In the 89th minute, BINNEY equalised for Exeter following a corner and a mistake by Forrest, who dropped the cross.


Attendance, 4,560.



Allowed tags: <p>, <a>, <em>, <strong>, <ul>, <ol>, <li>