Match 22
5th November 1979
Football League
Southend v Exeter City

Monday 5th November 1979
Football League
Southend 4-0 Exeter City


(By our special correspondent)

BRIAN GODFREY, the Exeter City manager, made no claim to originality for his after-the-match quote following Exeter City's 4-0 hiding at Southend last night.

"We cannot do anything in moderation," he said. "When we are good we are very good; when we are bad we are very bad and tonight, well the phrase I would like to use is unprintable we were as bad as that." But honest Brian was even more incensed with the sending off of Peter Hatch than he was with the result and his team's performance. Hatch had been booked by. Cambridge referee David Hutchinson - a police sergeant in civvy street in the 68th minute for a foul on Ron Poultney - a diminutive thorn in the side for City. And when he brought down the same player 14 minutes later Hatch was already starting his walk to an early bath before Mr. Hutchinson had time to show him the red card. Godfrey, using the favourite manager's expression these days, said: "It was a diabolical decision in my opinion neither tackle was a bookable offence. I have a lot of time for young Pountney, but in both cases I think he made a meal of it.
"Peter is a great player and club man and has not even been booked previously this season."

Yellow cards, too
Mr. Hutchinson also showed yellow cards to Southend's Colin Morris and City's Steve Neville again both incidents more of enthusiasm than intent. But, having said that. manager Godfrey's original statement was much nearer the truth and the reason for the defeat. The defence was practically non-existent in the first half and they were deservedly three goals down at the interval. They tightened up after the break. when Andy Bell was brought on for Dave Pullar, but though they missed a couple of reasonable chances, they were never really in the game with a chance. Southend's hero was Derrick Parker, who scored their first two goals. He was making a reappearance after being left out for the last five games and going on the transfer list at his own request. He nudged in Poultney's cross after 12 minutes to give Southend an early lead and headed in another Poultney centre nine minutes later for his first League goals of the season. Morris, Southend's £200,000-rated striker, increased the lead after 32 minutes. And City's defence must take the blame for all three goals.
They must also take the blame for Terry Gray's goal with the last kick of the match as yet another Poultney cross was allowed to skid through a practically non-existent defensive wall.

The crowd of 2,787 was the lowest at Roots Hall gate of the season.



Allowed tags: <p>, <a>, <em>, <strong>, <ul>, <ol>, <li>