Match 12
30th September 1978
Peterborough (a)

Key saves 76th-minute penalty


Peterborough United 1, Exeter City 1

A GOAL in the 21st minute from Tony Kellow earned Exeter City's new-look side a point at Peterborough this afternoon but, just as City looked to have a grip on the game, they were shaken by Tommy Robson's 43rd-minute equaliser. And as the match wore on the crowd of 5.016 was treated to a fine display by City goalkeeper, Richard Key, who saved a penalty near the end. New signing Colin Randell had a quiet match and not surprisingly City lacked their recent rhythm. They created few chances and their man-of-the-match was defender Peter Hatch.

PETERBOROUGH:Waugh, Hindley, Lee, Doyle, Turner, Ross, Slough, Butlin, Camp, Carmichael, Robson, Sub Cozens 

EXETER CITY: Key, Templeman, Hore, Bowker, Saxton. Hatch, Hodge, Kellow, Randell, Hotman Jennings,Sub.Roberts,
Referee : J. E. Bent

City, anxious to shake off the effects of Tuesday's defeat at Rotherham, included new signing Colin Randell in place of Lammie Robertson, who was making his debut for Leicester at Arsenal. Lammie took the field at Highbury after receiving "best wishes" telegram from his old team-mates. Lee Roberts was named as substitute by City, facing a Peterborough side with Camp at centre-forward instead of Sargent.
Exeter kicked off into the wind and quickly lost the ball when Saxton had to concede a free kick. Key move quickly to match it. Then Saxton had to head away a probing kick. Randell got his first touch when he slid a pass back to Key, seconds after Saxton had broken up another raid. Both sides were playing neat and thoughtful football, City's brightest move coming down the left when Hatch linked up with Holman and Jennings. Peterborough kept their slight edge and worked the first real opening after nine minutes bringing a brilliant save from Richard Key. Barry Butlin, scorer of three goals in two games, found a big gap in City's defence, and aimed a shot towards the top. left hand corner. But Key was equal to it and pushed it behind for a corner. Robson put the ball in the net for Peterborough, but Key had been fouled in the air. Hodge won City's first corner. after a move involving Kellow but the ball was quickly headed clear and, although they were getting into the game. City had to wait a long time for the glimmer of a shot and when it came, from Kellow, it was easily saved. After 21 minutes Exeter got the goal they were looking for. They won a corner on the left and Jennings in-swinger was easily headed home by KELLOW.
No problems
City were playing with a good deal of composure although at times the defence looked vulnerable against the high ball. They conceded a free kick 25 yards out, but it caused them no problems, and then Kelow broke away. He kicked the ball to Randell whose pass to Jennings was cut out. But Jennings picked up another pass to send a shot straight at Waugh. City were ahead but the advantage did not mean they were having things all their own way. Peterborough's defence was holding them fairly comfort ably and Randell and Hodge spent more of their time in their own half of the field.Exeter gave away yet another free kick again headed away by Hodge and then Key had to dive backwards to fist away another cross. Key had not been bothered with another shot sinee But lin's effort and only touched the ball when City gave him a Sack pass.
Needed treatment
Holman got a low cross in. only to find a Peterborough defender in the way, and then City won another left-wing corner, through Jennings, whose collision with Hindley ended with the Peterborough player needing treatment. He was off the field when Jennings took the kick. The cross beat Waugh, but the referee spotted an infringement. The majority of Exeter's raids came down the left, with Hatch and Holman and Jennings prominent, and so far Randell was having a quiet debut City packed their defence whenever Peterborough threatened, although the home attack was looking far from dangerous. Hatch's blond head was everywhere and he started the 37th minute move which ended with Hodge cutting inside and sending a shot past the far post. Soon afterwards Saxton floated a free kick to the head of Bowker, whose nod on almost put Kellow through. Jennings received another. long pass from Templeman as City weathered more pressure but as the game wore on they were beginning to look the more composed and methodical side, City were finally caught out in the 43rd minute when Doyle broke through on the right. He sent a deep cross to the far post which ROBSON headed in as Key scrambled to cover his near post.
Peterborough 1-1 Exeter City 

After half time pressure came from Peterborough. But two moves finished with off-side decisions and a third when Butlin just failed to reach a cross. Key watched a Robson shot go over and then went down quickly to hold a long-range effort from Slough. City's man-of-the-match was Peter Hatch, who was working hard in defence and trying to put life into the midfield.
City scare
It looked increasingly as if City would have to fight a rear guard action, but their chances were made brighter by Peter borough's inability to finish off promising attacks. Exeter had a bad scare in the 54th minute when Turner almost squeezed a corner in at the far post as Peterborough pushed forward despite having Ian Ross off the field with a shoulder injury. He was quickly back on to have his hand shaken by Kellow, with whom he had collided. Peterborough were pushing forward in a bid to take the lead but Exeter could not make use of the extra space in front of them. There were appeals for a penalty when Kellow tumbled in the area, but the referee would have none of it and Kellow's action had only been made necessary by the slowness of the midfield to give him support.
Yards wide
Jennings robbed Doyle and fed a pass to Holman. Bowker moved the ball inside to Hodge but his shot was a poor one finishing yards wide. Then Peterborough moved quickly into City's half and Key had to dive smartly to purry a Slough shot. A high centre from the right gave Key trouble and he failed. to prevent Butlin lobbing it header just wide of the far post. He had another anxious moment just afterwards as he fumbled a header from Turner. but the referee spotted an infringement and City won free kick.
Busy Key
Then Key made a brilliant catch from a Robson centre with Butlin moving in behind him. City's hopes of a point seemed to depend more and more on their defensive performance and Key in particular. The goalkeeper made another good save from Robson with 25 minutes to go. Keith Bowker was booked in the 84th minute for a foul on Doyle then Peterborough brought on Cozens. 

The programme can be read here