Match 31
11th January 1964
Gillingham (Home)

Western League
Frome (a)


Exeter 0 Gillingham 0

THE game went exactly to form. A goalless draw seemed to be the obvious answer to the clash between teams with two of the top defensive records in the country -and that's just how it turned out,  writes DAVID HARDING.

Gillingham stuck rigidly to their "P" for possession plan-sometimes even working the ball back from the halfway line to goalkeeper,  John Simpson. Exeter stuck to their 4-2-4 game-but although strengthened by the return of Eire international centre forward Dermot Curtis after a five game injury lay-off, they still could not find a way through. Twice though they came very close. First with a tremendous drive from Adrian Thorne, then with a header from Alan Banks. But on both occasions top-form Simpson made catlike leaps to hold the ball safely. Gillingham's goal attempts were even fewer, and the only shot which really bothered Alan Barnett was a second-half effort from winger Jimmy Ballagher. He drove in a low shot as the ball came across the Exeter goal, and Barnett was only able to stop it at the second attempt as he dived to the base of the post.

On guard
Gillingham's rocklike defence gave away a lot of free kicks with their hammer-like tactics-but they didn't give away goals. Exeter's defence did not have it easy, either. They were constantly on guard against the quick break aways which Gillingham tried to set up, and though they didn't often get in a shot, this was only thanks to Exeter's quick covering and tackling.

Skipper and left-half Alec Farrell really had his hands full dealing with quicksilver Banks, but he still seemed to find time to prompt his forwards, and when there was Gillingham danger it usually stemmed from him. With Curtis back in the side Exeter's latest signing, former Plymouth player Adrian Thorne, who was free to play his first game for the club on the left wing. But well as Thorne played he got few chances because he was so well held by Geoff Hudson-who was with Exeter two season ago and excelled himself on his first return to St James's Park.

Barnett; Smyth, MacDonald; Mitchell, Harvey, Anderson; Rees, Banks, Thorne,

Simpson; Hudson, Hunt; Arnott, Burgess, Farrall; Ballagher, Yeo, White, Gibbs, Newman,
Attendance 10,905,

Referee J.Finney (Hereford).

Western League 


Thompson; Quarrington, Patrick; Rutley, Parsons, Hovells; Welsh, Edgar, Riding, Gough, Spiers,

Frome Cribb
Exeter City Howells.

Bob Thompson a 15 year old trialist from Aldershot,


Up till today, Exeter City players have received an extra 10/- in their wage packets for every complete 500 additional spectators over 5,000, but from today the incentive scheme has been changed, The new deal gives them additional payments each week as long as they stop in the top four. The players are extremely happy with the new arrangement as it will mean a big increase over the old scheme.



Allowed tags: <p>, <a>, <em>, <strong>, <ul>, <ol>, <li>