89/90 LEAGUE APPEARANCES: SEVEN
STEVE’S APPEARANCES IN THE SIDE MAY HAVE BEEN HAMPERED BY INJURIES, BUT HIS ROLE IN THE SQUAD SAW THE CULMINATION OF A FAMILY CONTRIBUTION TO THE CLUB THAT HAD BEGAN ALMOST HALF A CENTURY EARLIER.
During World War Two, Bill Harrower had played for the RAF against an FA XI, and following the end of the conflict he signed for City’s local rivals, Torquay United.
Having impressed in the half-back role at Plainmoor, George Roughton paid £1,000 to bring him to St James Park in July 1948 as part of the club’s post-war rebuilding exercise.
Following 11 goals in 85 appearances, Bill was released in 1952 and signed for Bideford, but three decades later his son would become the second member of the Harrower family to appear for the Grecians.
A talented sportsman in his youth, Steve Harrower was playing part-time for Dawlish Town when City’s player manager Gerry Francis spotted him playing for the Devon County side
Giving up his day job as a plumber, Steve joined Exeter City in December 1983, and soon made his debut as a substitute against Bournemouth at Dean Court.
A versatile player - nicknamed ‘Mouse’ - who could fill any one of several positions, Steve made more than 180 appearances for the Grecians, and would have no doubt played many more times for the club if it wasn’t for a number of injury issues.
A persistent back injury limited his appearances throughout 1989 and at one stage he had played just 18-minutes of first team football in nearly 10-months.
Despite these setbacks, Steve was one of a number of experience heads in Terry Coopers side, and while he made just a handful of appearances during the campaign, his presence in the championship winning squad was welcomed by all, especially given the Harrower’s long-term association with the club.
His last appearance in a City shirt came in the final day demolition of Lincoln City, and following the celebrations at the end of the season he left the club to link up with Clive Whitehead at Yeovil Town.
This article was created using material from the Grecian Archive and ECFC Museum as part of the 'Celebrating our Heritage' programme, funded by the National Lottery Heritage Fund and supported by the University of Exeter.